Exam held on 05-06-2004
Time: 75 min Max : 100 Mark
Questions 1 to 5 : Choose synonymous word
1. To surprise somebody greatly:
A. Apprise B. Antonyms C. Astonish D. Reveal
2.To make something more important that it realy:
A. Excess B. Elaborate C. Strees upon D. Exaggerate
3.Express one opinion without evidence or full knowledge:
A. Specify B. Speculate C. Concede D. Sensing
4. An event that will happen soon:
A. Imminent B. Damnsure C. Immense D. Immutable
5.To lead somebody to do something:
A. Persuade B. Placate C. Persecute D. Perpend
Questions 6 to 10 : Four words are given in each .There of them can be grouped together applying a principle. One word does not belong to the group. Find it out.
6. A .Violet B. Blue C. Magenda D. Green
7. A. Cucumber B. Carrot C. Brinjal D. Ladies finger
8 .A. Yaswanth Sinha B. Jaswant Singh
C. Shatrugnan Sinha D. Manmohan Singh
9. A. Cancel B. Nullify C. Void D. Confirm
10. A.G. Sanakarakuruppu B. O.N.V Kuruppu
C. S.K Pottekkadu D. Thakazhi Sivasankarapillai
Questions 11 to 13 : Three words are given. There is a relationship between the first two words. Select a word that expresses a similar relationship with the third word from the given alternatives.
11. Panther Panjali : Sathyajith Ray ; Athithi:
A. K.P Kumaran B. M.T Vasudevan Nair
C. T.V Chandran D. P.A Backer
12. Pareekkuty : Madhu ; Chemban Kunju:
A. P.J Antony B. Jose Prakash
B. Govindankutty D. Kottarakara Sreedharan Nair
13. Bangladesh : Dhaka ; Austria :
A. Canberra B. Lapaz C. Santiago D. Vienna
Questions 14 to 20 : Choose collect answer from the alternative to fill the blank space :
A. M,Q B. S,X C.T,Y D.U,Z
15. ADH, BEL, CFJ,
A. DGL B. DHK C.EHL D. FIM
16. Veluthampi Dalawa – a brave fight against British Army.
A. Put up B. Put off C. Put in D. Put down
17. The train was coming, the supervisor —- the workers to stop working on rail.
A. Called off B. Called in C. Called away D. Called out
18.It —- rain this evening.
A. Can B. May C. Could D. Is
19. —–The suspected cause for earthquakes is the construction of dams.
A. Most of B. Only C. One of D. None of these.
20. There were —- telephone booths around, so that the old one is closed.
A. few B. a little C. a few D. little
Questions 21 to 35 : Select appropriate answers
21. Adolph Hitler committed suicide in
A. 1943 B. 1944 C.1945 D.1946
22. Congress Socialist party was formed in
A. 1934 B. 1935 C. 1936 D. 1938
23. IMF/World Bank was formed in
A. 1942 B. 1944 C. 1946 D.1947
24. Kyoto Conference was held in
A. 1992 B. 1993 C. 1996 D. 1997
25. Indian Patent Act was formed in
A. 1970 B. 1975 C. 1977 D. 1980
26. ‘One Life’ is written by
A. Dr B. Iqbal B. Bergnan
C. Kurozowa D. Dr. Christiaan Bernard
27.’The Interpretation of Dreams‘ is written by
A. Eric Erikson B. Sigmund Freud
C. A.Beck D. Kraeplin
28. ‘Kesavante Vilapangal’ is written by
A. M. Mukundhan B. O.V.Vijayan
C. Anand D. Perumbadavam Sreedharan
29. First Malayalam cinema is:
A. Balan B. Newspaper Boy
C. Harishchandra D. Vigatha Kumaran
30. The Director of the film ‘Susanna’ is :
A. T.V Chandran B. Priyadarsan
C. Adoor Gopalakrishnan D. Lenin Rajendran
31. The Nigerian Novelist who won the Nobel Prize
A. Cold Seamong B. Vol Soyinga
C. Joseph Bordskey D. None of the above
32. ‘World AIDS Day’:
A. April 17th B. June 5th
C. December1st D. February 14th
33. The famous film song ‘Easwaran Hinduvalla , Islamalla, Christaniyalla, Indranum chandranumalla’ was written by :
A. O.N.V Kuruppu B. S.L Puram Sadanandan
C. Vayalar ramavarma D. None of the above
34. FIFA President:
A. Sep Blatter B. Urz Linzy
C. H.K Dua D. None of the above
35. Erethrean Sea is :
A. Bay of Bengal B. Indian Ocean
C. Red Sea D. Arabian Sea
Questions 35 to 55 : Choose correct Answer
36. Find out the values of ‘x’ and ‘y’ if x + y=7; 3x – 2y =11
A. 4,3 B. 5,2 C. 3,4 D. 2,5
37. Five years ago I was thrice was old as my son and ten years later I shall be twice as old as my son. Hoe old are we now?
A. 30 & 40 B. 50 & 20 C. 40 & 15 D. 35 & 15
38. 3 chairs and 2 tables cost Rs 700 and 5 chairs and 3 tables cost Rs 1,100 .What is the cost of 2 chairs and 2 tables?
A. 400 B. 500 C. 600 D. 900
39. Find two consecutive natural numbers, whose squares have been the sum 221.
A. 10,11 B. 9,10 C. 12,13 D. 13,15
40. Find out the values of x & y if 2x + 3y = 31 ; 17x – 11y = 8.
A. 4,7 B. 5,7 C. 6,8 D. 5,8
41. The some of two numbers is 15 . If the sum of their reciprocals is 3/10, find out the numbers.
A. 9,6 B. 8,7 C. 5,10 D. 4,11
42. The length of rectangular plot is 8 meters than its breadth. If the area of the plot is 308m . find the length and breadth of the plot in meter.
A. L-18, B-8 B. L-18, B-10 C. L-20, B-12 D. L-22, B-14
43. A lawn is in the shape of rectangle of length 60 meters an width 40 meters. Out side the lawn there is a foot path of uniform width 1 meter broadening the lawn. Find out the area of the path.
A. 4m2 B. 204m2 C. 204m D. 184m2
44. A chess board contain 64 equal squares and the area of each square 6.25 cm2 . A boarder round the board is 2 cm wide. Find the length of the side of the chess board.
A. 24cm B. 42cm C. 60cm D. 64cm2
45. The area of triangle is 48cm2 , the base is 12 cm. What is its altitude?
A. 4cm B. 6cm C. 8cm D. 12cm
46. The minute hand of a clock 10cm long. Find the area on the face of the clock described by the minute hand between 9.am and 9.35am.
A. 183cm2 B. 160cm2 C. 100cm2 D. 314cm2
47. The number of children 10 families in an a locality are listed: 3,1,4,0,2,1,1,2,3,3
A. 1 B. 2 C. 3 D. 4
48. The mean of a set 40 values is 6. Each of the values is increased by 5.What will be the mean of the set of new values.
A. 11 B. 45 C. 60 D. 70
49. Find out the median of the values 5,10,3,7,2,9,6,2,11.
A. 2 B. 6 C. 11 D.9
50. 5:6,7:8, 13:16- Which of the following is the correct, if the above values are arranged in descending order of magnitude?
A. 5:6>7:8>13:16 B.13:16>7:8>5:6
C. 7:8>5:6>13:16 D. 7:8>13:16>5:6
51. What must be added to the numbers 6,10,14 and 22 so that they became success- sive proportional?
A. 1 B. 2 C. 3 D.4
52. Which one of the following is having greater value?
A. 5:3 B. 6:4 C. 7:6 D.9:7
53. Nalini purchase cycle for Rs 660including sales tax. If the rate of sales tax is 10%, find out the sale price of the cycle.
A. 500 B. 550 C. 560 D.600
54. What will be the next number in the following series of numbers 2,4,16,…….
A. 32 B. 64 C. 256 D.300
55. What will be the next number, if the series of numbers is as follows 3,11,27,59,….
A. 70 B. 86 C. 100 D.123
Questions 56 to 100: Select appropriate answers
56. Who proposed the atomic theory?
A. John Dalton B. Neils Bohr C. Chadwick D. Rutherford
57. Father of Electricity:
A. Michal Faraday B. J.J Thompson C. Edison D. Ampere
58. Who is related to Green Revolution in India?
A. Varghese Kurian B.Anand
C. Dr.M.S.Swaminathan D. Medha Padkar
59.Dengue Fever is caused by ___
A. Bacteria B. Virus
C. Fungi D. Not produced by infective agent
60. Temporary hardness of water is due to ____
A. Calcium chloride B. Sodium carbonate
C. Sodium chloride D. Magnesium bicarbonate
61. Global warning is due to the increased the production of all the following EXCEPT:
A. Carbon dioxide B. Ethane C. Methane D. Sulpher dioxide
62. The concept that all plants are made of cells was put forward by:
A. Theodor Schwan B. R. Virchow
C. Louis Pasteur D. M.J Schleiden
63. All the following are noble metals EXPECT:
A. Mercury B. Gold C. Silver D. Platinum
64. EEG is used to study the function of :
A. Herat B. Muscle C. Brain D. Nerve
65. DNA model is put forward by:
A. Ilan Wilmut B. Dr. Henri Becquirel
C. Robert Hook D. None of the above
66. World Heavy- weight Champion of 2003:
A. Clistsco B. Muhammed Ali
C. Linnex Lewis D. None of the above
67. Second Kerala Chief Minister is:
A. Pattom Thanu Pillai B. EMS
C. C. Achutha Menon D. R.Sankar
68. The slogan ‘Inquilab Zindabad’ was first used by:
A. Bhagat Singh B. Subhash Candra Bose
C. V.I Lenin D. Ajay Ghosh
69. ‘Sadhu Jana Paripalana Sangam’ is founded by:
A. A.K Gopalan B. Ayyankali
C. Sree Narayana Guru D. Vakkom Maulavi
70. All of the following area Dravidian language EXCEPT:
A. Malayalam B. Telungu C. Thulu D. Marathi
71. First Internal Affaires Minister of independent India:
A. Jawaharlal Nehru B. Lal Bahadur Shastri
C. Sardar Vallabhai Patel D. V.Krishnan Menon
72. Capital of Keneya:
A. Aman B. Nairobi C. Cairo D. Beirut
73. First computer virus:
A. Gappi B. Meleesa C. Norton D. Apple
74. Who declared that ”Swaraj is my birth right and I must have it” ?
A. Bhagat Singh B. Balagangadhar Tilak
C. Mahatma Gandhi D. Subhash Chandra bose
75. All of the following persons are extremists of Independence movement EXCEPT:
A. Lala Lajpat Rai B. Bipin Chandrapal
C. Gopalakrishna Gokhale D. Aurobindo Ghosh
76. Which of the following event is related to General Dyer?
A. Jalianwala Bagh massacre B. Wagon Tragedy
C. Chittagong Riot D. Punnapra Vayalar struggle
77. First battle of Panipat was between:
A. Hemu and Akbar B. Marathas East India Company
C. Babur and Ibrahim Lodi D. East India Company and Portuguese
78. Where did Gandhiji launched his first struggle?
A. Navaghaly B. Dandi C. Kappad D. Champaran
79. Who presided the first session of All India Trade Union Congress?
A. Subhash Chandra Bose B. Lal Lajpat Rai
C. C.R. Das D. Jawaharlal Nehru
80. Volunteer captain of Guruvayoor Temple Sathyagraha:
A. A.K Gopalan B. K.kelappan
C. Pattom Thanupillai D. Ayyankali
81.The East India Company established its first factory at
A. Surat B. Pune C. Culcutta D. Bombay
82. Formation of the INA was the result of the great efforts made by
A. Captain Lakshmi Bai B. Rash Behari Bose
C. Subhash Chandra Bose D. Aurobindo Ghosh
83. In which conference did Subhash Chandra Bose was elected as the president of India National Congress?
A. Avadi B. Pune C. Tripuri D. Bombay
84. RSS was banned in 1948 in relation with
A. India-Pak division B. Hindu-Muslim War
C. Subhash Chandra Bose D. Assassination Of Mahatma Gandhi
85. ‘Bhruhaspathi’ is related with
A. Arya Samajam B. Medicine
C. Indus civilization D. Charvakamatham
86. The slogan ’American Model Arabikadalil’ is related with
A. Telungana struggle B. Punnapara-Vayalar struggle
C. Kayyur Struggle D. Vaikom Sathyagraha
87. ‘Keralam Malayalikalude Mathrubhoomi’ was written by
A. Kumaranasan B. Thakazhi C. E.M.S D. Vallathol
88. Male-Female sex ratio of India 2001 census is:
A. 1000:933 B. 1000:1040 C. 1000:939 D. 1000:1046
89. The Prime Minister who started privatization in Britain:
A. Margaret Thatcher B. John Major
C. Tony Blair D. Winston Churchill
90. The smallest state in world
A. Russia B. Vatican C. Sri Lanka D. Cuba
91. The persons who became the chief Minister for the longest period in India:
A. E.K Narayanan B. Vasantha Sate
C. Jyothi Basu D. K.Karunakaran
92. Who was the first speaker of Lok sabha?
A. Sivaraj Patel B. Jagjeevan Ram
C. Lal Bahadur Shasthri D. G.V Mavlankar
93. Panchayathi Raj instructions came in to effect with the amendment of the constitution:
A. 70th B. 73rd C. 76th D. 79th
94. Who is the president of newly declared independent country, East Timor?
A. Xanana Gusmao B. Hugo Chavez
C. Lula da Zilva D. Nuster Kitchnarre
95. The Chairman of Constitution review committee:
A. Kuldip Nayyar B. Justice Kbare
C. Justice Varma D. Justice Venkita Chellaiya
96. Monthly Salary of Chief Justice in India:
A. Rs. 30000 B. Rs. 31000 C. Rs. 33000 D. Rs 50000
97. What is B.O.D.?
A. Biological Oxygen Demand B. Biochemistry of Diseases
C. Biochemical Oxygen Demand D. None of the above
98. Meenamatha disease is relate with
A. Cadmium B. Mercury C. Lead D. Iron
99. National party one which could secure not less than ___ % of the total valid votes in the previous general election.
A. 4% B. 6% C. 8% D. 9%
100. The theory that ‘ the continents will travel’ was first put forward by:
A. Antonio Sneider B. F.J Wine C. D.H Mathews D. Alfred Wegner
ANSWERS With Explanations :
1. C. Astonish 2. B. Exaggerate
3. B. Speculate 4. A. Imminent
5. A. Persuade
6. C. Magenda. All others colours present in rainbow.
7. B. Carrot. It is a root vegetable.
8. C. Shatrugnan Sinha. All others were Finance Minister of India D. Manmohan singh also can be the answers. as others were only union ministers while Manmohan Singh is the Prime Minister.
9. D. Confirm
10. B. O.N.V Kuruppu (G. Sanakarakuruppu,S.K Pottekkadu and Thakazhi Sivasankarapillaiall the recipients of Jnanpith award).
11. A. K.P Kumaran
12. D. Kottarakara Sreedharan Nair
P.J Antony First Keralite get Bharat award
13. D. Vienna ( Canberra- Capital of Austalia, Santiago- Capital of Chile)
14. C. T, Y
[A] B C D [E] F G H I [J] K L M
N [O] P Q R S [T] U V W X [Y] Z
[T] 20th position [Y] 25th position
15. C. and D. are correct
A + 3 = D, D + 4 = H
B + 3 = E, E + 4 = I
C + 3 = F, F + 4 = J
E + 3 = H, H + 4 = L
FIM also comes in the same manner.
16. A. Put up 17. D. Called out
18. B. May 19. C. One of the
20. A. a few
21. C. 1945. Hitler became the Chancellor of Germany in 1933.
22. A. 1934. Congress Socialist Party was set up in 1934 under Acharya Narendra Dev and Jayaprakash Narayanan.
23. No right answer.
IMF – was established in 1945 and started functioning in 1947. World Bank was set in 1944 and began operation in 1946.
24. D. 1997. 25. A. 1970
26. D. Christiaan Bernard. One life is book written by Dr. Christiaan Bernard. He made the first human heart transplant in 1967.
27. B. Sigmund Freud. Freud was the founder of Psychoanalysis. Psychopathology of Every Life, The Ego and the Id are his other famous work.
28. A. M. Murukan 29. D. Vigatha Kumaran
30. A. T.V Chandran
31. B. Vol soyigna – Dr Zivago is a book written by Russian novelist Boris Pasternak.
32. C. December 1st
World Health Day – April 7 World Environment Day – June 5
Valenties Day – February 14
33. C. Vayalar Ramavarma.
34. A. Seep Blatter – FIFA celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2004. FIFA was formed on May 21, 1904
35. C. Red sea – Malagasy islands is the biggest island in the Indian ocean.
36. B. x + y = 7 (1)
3x – 2y = 11 (2)
(1) * 2 ═> 2x + 2y = 14
3x + 2y = 11
5x = 25
x = 5
:. Y = 7 – x = 7 – 5 = 2
37. B. 50 & 20
Let ‘x’ be the age of son,
3x + 15 = 2 ( x+ 15)
3x + 15 = 2x + 30
:. X = 15
Present age of son = x + 5 = 20
Father = 3x + 5 = 50
38. C. Rs. 600
3 chair + 2 table = 700 …….(1)
5 chair + 3 table = 1100 ……(2)
3* (1) ═> 9 chair + 3 tables = 2100…….(3)
2* (2) ═> 10 chair + 6 tables = 2200………(4)
(4) – (3) ═> Chair = 100
:. Tables = 200
2 chair + 2 tables
= 200 + 400
39. A. 10, 11
ie, 102 + 112 = 100 + 121 = 221
40. B. 5, 7
2x + 3y = 31 (1)
17x – 11y = 8 (2)
(1) * 11, 22x + 33y = 341
(2) * (3), 51x – 33y = 24
73x = 365
x = 365 = 5
:. 10 + 3y = 31 3y = 21
:. Y = 7
41. C. 5, 10
If a = 5 and b = 10
A + b = 5 + 10 = 15
Sum of their reciprocals
= 1 + 1 = 1 + 1 = 2 +1 = 3
a b 5 10 10 10
45. C. 8cm
Are = ½ bh
½ * 12 h = 48
h = 8 cm
46. A. 183 cm2 Angle subtend is 2100
47. B. 2
Mean = ____ = 3+1+4+0+2+1+1+2+3+3 = ___ =2
Number 1 10
48. A. 11 – New mean = 5+ old mean = 5+6 = 11
49. B. 6
values written in ascending order
2, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 11
Middle value is the median. i.e., ie
5 7 13
50. C. 7 : 8 > 5 : 6 > 13 : 16 — = 0.86, __ = 0.87, ___ = 0.81
6 8 16
7 : 8 > 5 : 6 > 13 : 6
51. B. 2
6 + x = 14 + x
10 + x 22 + x
(6 + x) (22 + x) = (14 + x) (10 + x)
132 + 6x + 22x + x2 = 140 + 14x + 10x + x2
4x = 8
x = 2
53. D. 110 CP = 660
CP = 660 * 100 = 600
54. C. 256 2, 4, 16
4 = 22, 16 = 42, 256 = 162
55. D. 3, 11, 27, 59, 123
(+8, +16, +32, +64)
Difference between the connective numbers are 8, 16, 32, 64
56. A. John Dalton
Dalton proposed that all matter is composed of extremely small particulars called atoms.
57. A. Michel Faraday
Father of Nuclear Physics – Ernest Rutherford.
Father of Atom Bomb – Otto Hahn.
58. C. Dr. M.S. Swaminathan
M.S Swaminathan, eminent agricultural scientist will now heads a committee appointed by the Agriculture Ministry to prepare a national policy on Agrie – Biotechnology
59. B. Virus
60. D. Magnesium bicarbonates.
Temporary hardness of water is due the presence of bicarbonates of calcium and magnesium.
61. D. Sulphur dioxide
Carbon compounds are mainly responsible for Green House Effect.
62. D. M.J Schleiden
63. D. Mercury
Mercury is referred to to as the first superconducting metel.
64. C. Brain
ECG (Electrocardiogram) is used to study the function of heart.
65. D. None of these
DNA model was propounded by Watson and Crick in 1953
66. C. Linnex Lewis 67. A. Pattom Thanu Pillai.
68. A. Bhagat Singh
The slogan of ‘Inquilab Zindabad’ was given by the revolutionary , group ‘Hindustan Socialist Republic Association .
69. B. Ayyankali
70.C. All except Marathi and Dravidian languages.
71. C. Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
Internal Affairs refers to Home Ministry.
72. B. Nairobi – Cairo is the capital of Egypt.
73. D. Apple – VIRUS refers Vital Information Resources Under Siege.
74. B. Balagangadhar Tilak
“Dilli Chalo” and “Jai Hind” were coined by Subhash Chandra Bose.
75. C. Gopalakrishna Gokhale
Gokhale, Dadabhahi Naoroji, and Feroz Shah Mehta were liberal politicians.
76. A. Jallianwala Bagh Massacre
Jallianwala Bagh Massacre held on April 13, 1919 at Amritsar.
77. C. Babur and Ibrahim Lodhi
The first battle of Panipat was held in A.D 1526
78. D. Champaran
Gandhiji’s is first Satyagraha in India was fro the rights of indigo workers in Champaran in 1917.
79. C. C.R. Das – All India Trade Union Congress was formed in 1920.
80. A. A K Gopalan – K Kelappan was the leader of Guruvayoor Satyagraha in 1931
81. A. Surat
Dutch East India Company was established in 1592
82. B. Rash Behari Bose
> The Idea of the INA was first conceived by Malaya by Mohan Singh, an Indian officer of British Indian Army.
> On September 1, 1942, the fist division of the INA was formed with 16,300 men led by Mohan Singh, Rash Behari Bose and Niranjan Singh Gill.
> The Second phase of the INA began on July 2, 1943 by Subhash Chandra Bose in Singapore.
83. C. Tripuri
Subhash Chandra Bose become the first elected President of INC in 1938 (Haripura Session)
84. D. Assassination of Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhiji was assassinated by a Hindu fanatic Nathuram Vinayak Godse.
85. D. Charvakamatham
86. B. Punnapra Vayalar Struggle (1946)
87. C. EMS
88. A. 1000 : 933
The sex ratio of Kerala according to the 2001 census is 1000 : 1058
89. A. Margaret Thatcher
Thatcher is known the ‘Iron Lady’. She is also the first women Prime Minister of Britain.
90. B. Vatican
Vatican is also the least populous city in the world.
91. C. Jyothi Basu
EK Narayanan is the longest serving Chief Minister of Kerala.
92. D. G.V Mavlankar 93. B. 73rd
94. Correct answer is Jose Ramos Horta
East Timer become the 191st member of United Station
95. A. Justice Venkita Chellaya
96. C. Rs. 33,000
97. A & C are correct. – Biological Oxygen Demand and Biochemical Oxygen Demand .
The estimation B.O.D gives an idea of the amount of pollution in water.
98. B. Mercury 99. B. 6%
100. D. Alfred Wegner
Alfred Wegner in 1915 first gave the term ‘Continental drift’