General English for ALL PSC Exams
Q&A will be useful for aspirants who are appearing for Kerala PSC and other exams.
From the questions below, please choose the best option to complete the sentence or conversation. Test your English.
(A) where (B) wherever
(C) whenever (D) whichever
(A) data (B) datum
(C) datas (D) datases
(A) closes (B) closed
(C) closing (D) is closed
4. Fill in the blanks with suitable verb form:
They ………. to the market
(A) goes (B) go
(C) going (D) gone
5. The phrasal verb ‘look down upon’ means
(A) treat carefully
(C) treat royally
6. Find out the phrase suitable to the underlined word:
I can’t understand what he is saying
(A) make up for (B) make good
(C) keep up (D) make out
7. Find out one word for the following:
Study of Skin
(A) Pathology (B) Prenology
(C) Entomology (D) Dermatology
8. Give one word for ”cause to feel shame”
(A) Purify (B) Mortify
(C) Sterile (D) Muting
9. The antonym of ‘fortune’ is
(A) unfortune (B) misfortune
(C) disfortune (D) enfortune
10. The feminine gender of ‘milkman’ is
(A) Milkwoman (B) Milklady
(C) Milkmaid (D) Milkgirl
11. Fill in the blanks with proper preposition:
He pointed ………… the tree
(A) in (B) on
(C) at (D) up
12. Fill in the blanks with correct pronoun:
I know the girl…………. has topped in the examination
(A) what (B) whose
(C) which (D) who
13. Everybody wants to be happy, …………?
(A) don’t they (B) doesn’t they
(C) do they (D) does they
14. He is benevolent though his father is ……………….
(A) bonafide (B) beneficial
(C) malevolent (D) delegent
15. He ”always makes castle in the air” means:
(A) He used to make castles
(B) He would dream of making castles in the air
(C) He often dreams of things to be done in the air
(D) He often dreams of things impossible to happen
(A) is (B) has
(C) have (D) was
17 Mary, ……… I met yesterday, called me back
(A) who (B) whose
(C) which (D) whom
18. The puppy_______I rescued was a black one.
(A) who (B) which
(C) whom (D) what
19. Rickets_______a deficiency disease.
(A) are (B) have
(C) is D) has
20. The thief is arrested from the _______ house of the street.
(A) last (B) latter
(C) later (D) latest
21. _____ iron is a useful metal.
(A) A (B) An
(C) No article (D) The
22. I am a little nervous, _______ ?
(A) am I (B) are I
(C) amn’t I (D) aren’t I
23.When I reached the park, my friend____.
(A) is leaving (B) leaves
(C) had left (D) left
24. Most girls _______afraid of cockroaches.
(A) have (B) are
(C) is (D) has
25. I met Seetha who is senior _______ me.
(A) than (B) of
(C) to (D) with
26. Meenu said, “My mother sang well” . (Change into indirect speech)
(A) Meenu said that her mother sang well
(B) Meenu said that her mother had sang well
(C) Meenu said that her mother has sung well
(D) Meenu said that her mother had sung well
27. Who wrote the answer ? (Change into passive voice)
(A) By whom the answer was written ?
(B) Who was written the answer ?
(C) The answer was written by whom ?
(D) Who had written the answer ?
28. One of the following words does not belong to the set – Aunt, Poetess, Priest, Madam
(A) Aunt (B) Priest
(C) Poetess (D) Madam
29. I stood by him through thick and thin. (Meaning close to the idiom underlined)
(A) under certain conditions
(B) under all conditions
(C) without any preparation
(D without any hesitation
30. The mis-spelt word among the following :
(A) Queue (B)Vacuum
(C) Diary (D) Secretery
31. He is an_______in his profession.
(A) adopt (B) adapt
(C) adept (D) accomplish
32. Write one word for the following :
One who hates women.
(A) misogynist (B) misanthrope
(C) feminist (D) pessimist
33. The meaning of status quo :
(A) the existing condition (B) responsibility
(C) experience (D) ability to lead
34. They cannot_______the fire.
(A) put in (B) put off
(C) put away (D) put out
35. The synonym of the word `frivolous’:
(A) sensible (B) silly
(C) grave (D) faithfull
36. The antonym of the word scarcity :
(A) sparseness (B) rare
(C) copiousness (D) dearth
37. Which of the following is not a compound word :
(A) nobody (B) meagre
(C) beeline (D) football
38. Find out the one word for the following :
“Murder of a King” .
(A) Regicide (B) Genocide
(C) Patricide (D) Assassination
39. Fill in the blank with a suitable phrasal verb :
Quinine is……………..the bark of a plant called Synchona.
(A) made of (B) made by
(C) made with (D) made from
40. Pick out the correct relative pronoun from the following :
The man….. …….came yesterday was her uncle.
(A) which (B) who
(C) whom (D) that
41. Change the voice : “The fan is rotated by an engine”
(A) An engine rotates the fan
(B) An engine was rotated the fan
(C) An engine is rotated the fan
(D) An engine has rotated the fan
42. Use the correct article in the blank space : The Ganga is……………..sacred river.
(A) the (B) an
(C) a (D)no need of article
43. Fill in the blank with the correct preposition : “Do not laugh……………..the poor
(A) to (B) at
(C) on (D) in
44. Pick out the correctly spelt word :
(A) Travalogue (B)Travlogue
(C) Travologue (C) Travelogue
45. Fill in the blank with the correct form of the adjective: A propeller is a kind of fan
with two or…………….. blades.
(A) more (B) much
(C) most (D) much more
46. Give the plural form of the word tea:
(A) tea (B) ties
(C) teas (D) tees
47. I want to meet the artist ………..has painted this pictures.
48. She did not smile —— I apologized
49. We resumed the game ——–it stopped raining.
C:As soon as
50:The opposite of optimistic is