Questions related to facts about India is an important part in the Secretariat Asst and other examinations. Questions connected with Constitution of India, Freedom Struggle, National Movement, Geography of India- Physical Features- Climate-Soils- Rivers- Famous Sites , Demography- Economic and Social Development-Poverty Alleviation-Economy and Planning-, History of India, Culture, Cinema, Books and writers etc may be asked.
1. Which is the highest mountain peak in India?
2. Which is the largest museum in India?
Ans: Indian Museum, Kolkata
3. Who is regarded as the first great leader of modern India?
Ans: Raja Ram Mohan Roy
4. Who became the President of Indian National Congress for the longest continuous period before independence?
Ans: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
5. Which is India’s smallest state by area?
6. Which is the most populated state of India as per 2011 census?
Ans: Uttar Pradesh
7. What was the post held by Gandhiji in Natal Indian Congress in South Africa?
Ans: Honorary Secretary
8. Who authored Gandhiji’s favourite prayer ‘Vaishnava Janato’?
Ans: Narasimha Mehta
9. Who was the Viceroy when Indian Penal Code was brought into effect?
Ans: Lord Canning
10. In which year Mahathma Gandhi became the president of Indian National Congress:
11. Which is the largest prison in India?
Ans: Tihar jail
12. Which is India’s largest state by area?
13. Jawaharlal Nehru attended Congress session as a delegate for the first time in 1912. It was held at:
14. Jawaharlal Nehru became the President of the Indian National Congress for the first time in:
15. Who was the Viceroy when Queen Victoria was declared as the Empress of India in 1877?
16. In India, the death anniversary of Gandhiji is observed as:
Ans: Martyrs day
17. The famous leader whose birth day falls on the birth day of Lal Bahadur Shastri:
18. Who was the Congress president when Jawaharlal Nehru was appointed as the chairman of the National Planning Committee constituted by INC?
Ans: Subhas Chandra Bose
19. Who was selected as the second person to observe individual satyagraha in 1940:
Ans: Jawaharlal Nehru
20. Jawaharlal Nehru Port is situated at:
21. Who founded Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan?
23. Which is the largest freshwater lake in India?
Ans: Kolleru lake, Andhra Pradesh
24. Which is the largest library in India?
Ans: National library of India, Kolkata
25. The first modern paper mill in India was established in Saharanpur in ……….. in 1832.
Ans: West Bengal
26. Who repealed the Vernacular Press Act?
Ans: Lord Ripon
27. Jawaharlal Nehru was born in 1889 at:
28. Which state was given the status of ‘Associate State’ in 1974?
29. Who was the President of Indian National Congress during the Quit India movement?
Ans: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad
30. Which was the first General Post Office opened in India?
31. Which is the largest General Post Office (GPO) in India?
32. Which commission was enquired into the assassination of Indira Gandhi?
Ans: Thakkar Commission
33. Which portfolio was taken over by Jawaharlal Nehru from VK Krishna Menon in the wake of Chinese aggression of 1962?
34. Birla House, where Gandhiji was assassinated, is in:
35. Which is the largest planetarium in India?
Ans: Birla Planetarium, Kolkata
36. Which is the largest plateau in India?
Ans: Deccan plateau
37. For how many days Gandhiji was imprisoned in South Africa?
38. In his life, Gandhiji was undergone imprisonment for ……….. days.
39. Jawaharlal Nehru met Gandhiji for the first time at the Lucknow session of Indian National Congress held in the year ………….
40. Subash Chandra Bose became the President of Indian National Congress for the first time in:
41. The journals ‘Al Hilal’ and ‘Al Balal’ were launched by:
Ans: Abul Kalam Azad
42. In which railway station of South Africa, Gandhiji was thrown out of a train?
43. Who was the president of India when Bangladesh was formed in 1971:
44. Lal Bahadur Shastri is the first Prime Minister to born in 20th century. He was born in:
45. The jurist who gave verdict in Gandhi assassination Case:
Ans: Atmacharan Aggarwal
46. The second President of Indian National Congress:
Ans: Dadabhai Navroji
47. The Mauryan emperor who gave attention to Municipal administration:
Ans: Chandragupta Maurya
48. Which is the tallest medieval building in India?
Ans: Qutb Minar, Delhi (73 m, 239 ft)
49. Which is the largest mosque in India?
Ans: Jama Masjid, Delhi
50. The Viceroy when Rowlatt Act was passed?
Ans: Lord Chelmsford
51. Which event in Buddha’s life is symbolized by Stupa?
52. Green Revolution in India is also known as:
Ans: Seed, fertilizer and irrigation revolution
53. The first jute mill in India was established in 1854 at Rishra near………..
54. The Indo-Gangetic Plains are formed by the basins of three distinct river systems. Which are they?
Ans: The Indus, the Ganges and the Brahmaputra.
55. What forms the southern point of the Peninsular plateau?
Ans: Nilgiri Hills
56. Which among the following is regarded as a continuation of the Western Ghats?
Ans: Cardamom Hills
57. The industry which laid the foundation of industrialization in India:
Ans: Cotton textiles
58. The method of election of Indian President has been copied from:
59. The only Indian state that has its own constitution:
Ans: Jammu & Kashmir
60. The post of speaker of Lok Sabha has been copied from:
61. The system of Parliamentary Government has been copied from:
62. The system that the head of the state is a part of parliament has been copied from:
63. The tenure of member of Legislative Assembly is …… years.
64. The tenure of the president of India is …… years.
65. Union Territory in South India to have Legislative Assembly:
66. What is referred to as an ‘epitome’ of the broad features of the Constitution?
67. What is regarded as the corner stone of modern democracy?
Ans: Magna Carta
67. Which Article of the Constitution deals with special provisions regarding Jammu and Kashmir?
68. Which Article of the Constitution is related to ‘Abolition of untouchability’?
69. Which Article of the Constitution is related to ‘Equality of opportunity in matters of public employment’?
70. The preamble of the Constitution begins with:
Ans: We, the people of India………
71. The preamble of the Constitution came into force on:
Ans: 26th January 1950
72. The procedure for removing the President of India, if he violates the Constitution:
73. The procedure of election of members to the upper house has been copied from:
Ans: South Africa
74. The idea of Fundamental Rights has been copied from:
75. The idea of impeachment of President has been copied from:
76. President of India is empowered to declare how many types of emergency?
77. Rule of law has been copied from:
78. The distribution of powers between centre and states has been copied from:
79. The executive powers of the union of India is vested with:
80. The idea of advisory jurisdiction of Supreme Court has been copied from:
81. The idea of appointment of Governors of States by the centre has been copied from:
82. The idea of Parliamentary privileges has been copied from:
83. The idea of placing the residuary powers with the centre was influenced by the Constitution of:
84. The idea of post of Vice President has been copied from:
85. The idea of prerogative writs has been copied from:
86. The idea of President as the nominal head of the state has been copied from:
87. Which part of the Constitution deals with Elections?
Ans: Part XV
88. Which part of the Constitution is dealt with States and Union Territories?
Ans: Part I
89. Which Schedule contains Panchayat Raj?
90. How much of the total members of Rajya Sabha is elected every two years?
91. Which is called House of Elders?
Ans: Rajya Sabha
92. A money bill sent to Rajya Sabha should be returned to the lower house within ………days.
93. The first joint sitting of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha was held in the year:
94. Who wrote the book “What Congress and Gandhi have done to untouchables’?
Ans: B R Ambedkar
95. Which is the first iron bridge of India?
Ans: Lohe ka pul (Old Yamuna bridge), Delhi
96. The objective resolution was adopted by the Constituent Assembly on:
Ans: 22nd January 1947
97. The tenure of member of Lok Sabha is ……….years.
98. As per the provisions of the Constitution the number of members of Lok Sabha is limited as:
99. Who is known as the father of Indian industry:
Ans: Jamshedji Tata
100. Whom the British called ‘the father of Indian unrest’?
Ans: Bal Gangadhar Tilak